Who we are
South Port Uniting Church (formerly South-Port-Parks Parish Mission) has been part of the South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Albert Park and Middle Park community for over 160 years.
We are a faith community with two congregations at South Melbourne and Port Melbourne. Each has its own congregation-based programs as well as shared activities.
The Uniting Church also provides a range of local community outreach and support programs through Uniting, which includes the former South Port UnitingCare.
Our Mission Statement
“We, the members of South Port Uniting Church form a distinctive, vibrant, worshipping community within the tradition of the Uniting Church in Australia. Imbued with the Holy Spirit, our congregations seek to proclaim to everyone in word and deed the Good News that Jesus Christ is the Light of the World, and that his gospel is one of forgiveness and reconciliation. We invite others to share our faith and mission.”
We are a parish that values our heritage and is united in acknowledging the variety of gifts, services and ministries that we enjoy to help build up the Kingdom of God.
We commit ourselves to:
- provide safe an welcoming places where people of all ages can worship and glorify God in spirit and truth through prayer, music and the celebration of the sacraments of the church;
- create and nourish our Christian community by encouraging involvement of all generations in parish activities, enriching the domestic family and cultivating a parish community centred in Christ;
- encourage self growth and a deeper understanding of God by an exploration through prayer, meaningful liturgy, reflection, study and teaching;
- serve the needs of the community, particularly the poor and marginalised, the elderly and the transitional community, by working together in a spirit of Christian compassion;
- challenge injustice and oppression, depict the reconciling love of God to the wider community and be accepting of others.
We are committed to keeping children safe. Read our Statement of Commitment here .
We ask God to guide and bless us as we seek to:
- grow in our personal witness and commitment to Him; and
- reach out to the community in innovative ways, sharing our experience of His grace and saving message.